Thursday, May 8, 2014

Audiobooks, New Releases, and Gardening

                                                                 
A Casual Weekend Thing has come out as an audiobook! It’s went on sale at Audible last night! Now I just need to finish re-listening to Rhys Ford’s Sinner’s Gin before I hear it, because jumping from one narrator to another confuses the hell out of my poor brain.

Also, Holding Out for a Fairy Tale releases tomorrow! Dreamspinner is running all kinds of sales this month to celebrate their 7th anniversary! In addition to 15% off every Dreamspinner title at ARe, they’re offering larger discounts and flash sales at the Dreamspinner site throughout the month!

Check out Dreamspinner's ARe sale!



And beyond announcing the release, I’m going to be a coward about the whole promo thing this time around.

Even with the one year anniversary of A Casual Weekend Thing coming up, I still don’t feel like this new role has really sunk in. With more experience with the publishing process, the emotional roller coaster of book releases and reviews, and attending the Dreamspinner Press Writers Workshop in Portland just a couple weeks ago, I am at the point where I either need to start taking this whole writing thing seriously, or stop pretending that it was ever more than a hobby. And to be honest, I’m still on the fence.

Writing is an isolated and depressing process for me. The most commonly repeated bits of advice for writers on the internet is to write a lot, to revise more than one writes, and to have as many sets of eyes as possible read and critique a story before it ever makes its way into the world. With a super-conservative family who treats any mention of homosexuality as a bad joke, a husband who is quietly supportive of my writing so long as it can never, ever be linked back to him, and being more shy than an anxious house cat, that last step has never been possible for me. Which means the first feedback I typically get on a story is from reviews after a story is already released. And the whole process always stops my current writing project cold. I can’t very well just say, “Be gentle, I’m new at this!” because, when something is actually marketed and sold, the expectation of a professional quality product is totally fair.

So rather than spend two months recovering from the emotional ups and down that are sure to follow this new release, I’m going to go hide in my garden for a few weeks and re-hash my current work in progress with a pen and paper. Again. The prequel to Graffiti can’t decide if it wants to be a contemporary romance or a suspense novel, and I’ve written it both ways a couple times. (Damn mental quirk that insists all stories must have a bad guy….) Once I get it settled into one genre or the other, I’ll try to post the first chapter of the 3rd book in Least Likely Partnerships—in which Christopher discovers that running away is a hard habit to break.

My dear husband decided to “help” with my garden beds last year. He second-guessed my vermiculite and fertilizer ratios until he managed to make my garden toxic enough to kill everything I tried to plant. He pointed out that at least this season I won't have to pull any weeds. The real silver lining, though, is having plenty of work to keep me too busy to go anywhere near Goodreads.


5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Casual Weekend Thing, LOVED Sex & Sourdough. Looking forward to this next one.

    I really think any fool can learn to write, but you tell STORIES and that's not something just anybody can do. You're a Storyteller, whether you write professionally or as a hobby, doesn't really change that.

    Thank you for sharing the stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed them! I'm afraid I'm a slow writer, so I'm toying with the idea of just posting more stories for free. One story every year or so doesn't mesh with DSP's marketing recommendations. I try to capture those people, moments, and challenges in life that leave me in awe, and if I rush it, well, it never works right.

      This year the Navy has no plans to move us for at least 12 months, though, so I might be able to focus enough to get more done:)

      PS - Thank you for the lovely review of Sex & Sourdough! Kevin's story is more autobiographical than I'd like to admit, so putting that out into the world was hard.

      Delete
  2. Stop hiding. New book is amazing!! "A Casual Weekend Thing" was in my top 10 for 2013. And "Holding Out For a Fairy Tale" is my number one right now in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! I'm about 12K words into number 3, but so far it's grim. I'm determined to bring it all the way to a HEA, but... yeah, grim.

      Delete
    2. Fantastic news. I dont mind grim but I wiuld love HEA with cowboy:) Do you think it will be published this year?

      Delete

A Rant About Fanfiction

 Confession time! I like fanfiction. I read it, I wrote it, I still get lost in it. I’ve talked to a lot of folks who read and enjoy fanfict...